We obviously live in our bodies our entire lives. It’s our home. But how well do you know parts of the human body? We’ve compiled a list of 10 fun facts about the human body you may or may not have known before.
1. The biggest muscle in the body is the gluteus maximus.
AKA Your butt.
2. One human hair can support 3.5 ounces.
That’s about the weight of two full size candy bars.
3. The human tongue consists of 16 separate muscles.
Can you fold your tongue?
4. Your hands are not the biggest part of your body, but they have 20 individual muscles.
Time to start working out those hands.
5. The Sartorius muscle is the longest muscle in the body. It runs from the hip diagonally across the thigh to the inside of the knee.
Your hips don’t lie.
6. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
Even if you can only recall your grandmother’s cooking.
7. Out of the 206 bones in your body, 52 of them make up both of your feet.
That’s just about 25% of the bones in your entire body.
8. Humans and Giraffes have the same number of cervical vertebrae.
That’s some 7 large vertebrae.
9. Hand injuries account for nearly 10% of hospital emergency department visits.
10. The scapular bone has no bony attachments. It is solely connected by soft tissue.
Thus poor posture and muscular imbalances play a huge role in neck, shoulder and back pain.
Did you know any of these? The human body is composed of many different types of cells that together create tissues and subsequently organ systems. The secrets our bodies hold are interesting and sometimes gross, but we can all agree that it’s amazing.
VaultMR is an electronic health care platform for physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, and nursing. The company has created a powerful, easy to use, interoperable platform through which health care facilities, administrators and clinicians engage, personalize and manage patient care.